Laurel has a hard time writing about herself in a professional manner and without the kind of self-deprecating humor that can come off as insecure. So here are the facts.
- She’s a Christian.
- Petunkalunka is a nickname bestowed on her by her father. A more phonetic spelling would be peh-TOON-kah-LOON-kah. It’s a Carib term of endearment, like sweet patootie.
- She’s a middle child.
- She’s currently 31.
- She swing dances—lindy hop, specifically—as much as possible.
- On July 31st, 2012 Laurel returned to Tulsa, Oklahoma, U.S.A. after four years working in Kameoka, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan.
- She was a member of the Japanese Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. Her position was an Assistant Language or English Teacher (ALT or AET).
- She taught at five public elementary schools and five public junior highs every month.
- She can tell you what life is like as a college-educated functioning illiterate.
- She can play the piano.
- She is teaching herself to play the ukulele.
- She makes jewelry.
- She majored in French and in Elementary Education with a Specialization in Early Childhood at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri.
- She minored in Music
- She studied abroad for one semester in France, which is when she began blogging.
- She is? has? a shodan (first degree black belt) in aikido.
- She plays taiko.
- She has a German Wirehaired Pointer/German Shepherd Dog named Tazer, oft nicknamed the Bearded Lady
- Her goal is to be as close to self-employed as possible without being destitute.*
- She’s only writing in third person because she hears it looks professional.
- She is often late.
[End third person.] To piggyback off that last bullet point, I don’t understand the concept “five minutes early is on time.” No it isn’t, it’s five minutes early; you just said so. This should tell you that I find it difficult to succeed in the first-world countries that I have inhabited as an adult. One may argue that much of my life looks like a success, and I would argue in return that it’s all due to the good Lord Jesus who doth giveth me self-control and other spiritual fruits.
*This blog is mostly about how everything else on the list relates to that goal.